Periods are really not that bad. At worst, they’re an inconvenience. You’re a little uncomfortable, your stomach might hurt every now and then, you could feel a bit down or cranky, but that’s it. I’m sick to death of hearing people complain about the unbearable pain and agony they suffer through every month. If your period and the symptoms that come with it are truly so bad that you are literally unable to move or are throwing up, GO TO THE DOCTOR. Your period is not compulsory, you can go on the pill or other medications to control it or block it altogether. And quit campaigning that women should get the days of their period off school or work - women have been getting on with their lives, period or no period, literally since the beginning of man.
Also, stop complaining about ruined clothes - BLOOD RINSES OUT IN COLD WATER.
you tell that to the people who have PCOS
"IT DOESN’T HAPPEN TO ME, SO CLEARLY THESE OTHER WOMEN ARE LYING ABOUT THEIR HORRIBLE AGONY!”
This is hilarious.
And yeah, why don’t you come say that to someone with PCOS? We’d have some lovely words.
Five bucks says this was written by a dude. Because, holy crap, I can’t believe another chick would be that insensitive about something a friend of hers most likely goes through.
My period a few months ago was literally so horrible that I had to crawl on the floor to get around the house and I was sweating because of how much pain I was in, even WITH STRONG PAINKILLERS. Wow.
“Your period is not compulsory, you can go on the pill or other medications to control it or block it altogether”
EXCEPT SO MANY POLITICIANS ARE TRYING TO KEEP US FROM GETTING THE MEDICINE THAT HELPS US BECAUSE THEY THINK IT PROMOTES PROMISCUITY AND BAD MORALS.
Why the FUCK do you think that women fight so hard for birth control pills? And for it to be covered by health insurance? Not only is it our fucking choice on if we want to have sex or not, but without birth control, I am in AGONY for 3-4 days out of 7 and cannot go past an hour without needing to go to the bathroom to change things.
I’m lucky enough that birth control controls my period. I don’t have any conditions like PCOS that make my period worse, I’m just on the end spectrum of “your period is normal, but its gunna suck” For others, they need birth control so that it doesn’t feel like someone’s ripping their uterus out and gnawing on it and instead feels more like someone just stabbing them repeatedly so that they can THEN go on heavy painkillers to try and deal with the pain. Also, side note: most side effects of heavy painkillers make you seriously groggy and they don’t want you to drive.
Another side note, my roommate has epilepsy. Now i don’t know jack squat about epilepsy, but she’s told me that sometimes her cramps are so bad that it can trigger a seizure. She’s woken up a couple of times from the pain, only to have a seizure and throw up. If you knew this was a possibility, would you go outside where this could potentially happen in front of a lot of people/on stairs/WHILE DRIVING or would you take a day off and do your work at home where you can better control it? Periods don’t just cause cramps and whatever, they can trigger other conditions to act up as well WHICH CAN BE SERIOUSLY DANGEROUS.
Pretend women have completely free access to birth control and its covered by health insurance. My roommate can’t use traditional birth control because it completely negates her seizure meds, so there’s drug interactions that women have to deal with too. What if you’re allergic to the medicine? What if it causes even WORSE side effects than the symptoms you had before?
I’m not even going to bother explaining how “feeling a little cranky” begins to cover it. Periods mean hormone surges which means various mood swings as your body balances everything out to make sure that your uterus is functioning properly. Hormone surges affect moods. Some girls get more of a surge than others. Some girls are just more sensitive to these hormonal changes than others.
Most of the time us “feeling a little cranky” is us flabbergasted at the absolute ignorance that people like you have and the rage at the “oh you’re mad, you must be on your period” like our anger is only justified if we’re on our period and isn’t valid (but thats a whole other issue)
As for blood rinses out in cold water? How about when you leak onto your jeans in the first hour of school? Are you suggesting that I go to the bathroom and rinse out my jeans on cold water, and then go to class the rest of the day with a WET CROTCH? Because I’m not gunna have enough time to sit with my pants under the hand dryer until they dry.
Blood doesn’t even always rinse out in cold water, more just rinses out in cold water. It depends on the fabric, and you have to rinse it RIGHT AWAY. Most of the time girls wake up with their periods, after the blood has been there for HOURS. So there’s underwear, pants and potentially sheets stained because you didn’t even know your period even started.
Don’t even get me started on the fact that in order to keep the blood clean and off clothes is that we have to buy expensive pads or tampons, which are either basically diapers that you have to sit in and feel like you pissed yourself all day and worry about leaking, or a wad of cotton that you shove up in your vagina and worry about leaking.
And yes, women have been “getting on with life” for as long as we’ve had periods, because we’re BADASSES. We are TOUGH and we are STRONG. But women in the past have also wanted to take breaks due to periods. Don’t try and fool yourself into thinking that in the past women were just like “Oh it appears i’ve gotten my period” because a spot of red appeared on their undergarments AND THATS IT. No. They went through the same thing but most of the time had to be like “well FUCK” and tough out the day, and then cry from the pain in private. They would want a break then just as much as we do now.
Before making sweeping statements like this, why don’t you crack open a human repro book and actually look at the female side of it, and all of the problems and complications of periods that are DOCUMENTED.
And if you are a female instead of a male, OP, count yourself blessed that you think periods are easy to deal with. You could have had it so much worse.
Reblogging again because YO^^^
I mean, “if it’s really interfering with your life you should see a doctor” is my usual response to horror stories about severe menstrual symptoms, but it’s not because I think that everyone else with a marginally functional uterus and ovaries are big whiny babies! Anyone who deals with this shit is unbelievably tough, and that goes double for trans and NB folk who have to deal with it on the down-low to avoid outing themselves when they don’t want to, or whose dysphoria is exacerbated by their menstrual cycle.
I say it because sometimes shit does go wrong, and sometimes intense cramps or painful ovulation or severe mood swings or an unpredictable cycle can be indicative of an underlying medical condition, and no one ever tells you that. We should be so beyond this whole Curse of Eve shit by now but hey instead let’s assume that people with uteri, especially young ones, are inherently weak and clueless and at the mercy of their own bodies!
I’ve literally never had a regular cycle when I’m not on the pill, and I’m prone to moderately miserable cramps when I do get my period - not “blacking out puking” cramps, but definitely “I’m not going to move today why is the ibuprophen not kicking in” cramps. At the age of twenty I was diagnosed with PCOS - that’s polycystic ovarian syndrome - after seven years of telling adults “I think there’s something wrong with how my body is working” and being brushed off because everyone knows that you’re supposed to be uncomfortable during your period and “everyone’s cycle is different.” And by “adults” I mean my own mother and my high school health teacher. I guarantee that if I’d been having long-term digestive or respiratory or sensory issues, I’d have gotten treatment years sooner, but because it was my reproductive system, it got dismissed with this poisonous “you just need to tough it out” idea.
The myth of the obligatorily miserable period is misogynistic not just because it excuses marginalizing people with uteri on the basis of their supposed weakness, but also because it disenfranchises those people, especially when young, in regards to their control over and awareness of their own bodies.
LIKE WHY ARE PERIODS NECESSARY
WHY DO I HAVE TO HAVE CRAMPS SO PAINFUL I PRACTICALLY THROW UP
WHY DO I HAVE TO RUIN MY FAVOURITE PAJAMA PANTS
WHY DO I HAVE TO BECOME AN EMOTIONAL WRECK EVERY TIME A PIN DROPS
WHY DO I HAVE TO SHOVE A SPONGEY STICK UP MY GOD DAMN VAGINA ONCE A MONTH
I DON’T EVEN LIKE KIDS
Fun fact: If your uterus didn’t shed its lining, you’d be more at risk for uterine cancer. Your uterus is legitimately self-preventing cancer.
another fun fact: debilitatingly painful cramps and severe moodswings aren’t mandatory and if your menstrual cycle is interfering with your ability to function then you might want to talk to your doctor about that. They can probably suggest something to prevent or alleviate those symptoms, and there’s a possibility that difficult periods are an indicator of an underlying medical condition.
don’t take nonsense from your uterus that you wouldn’t take from any other major organ system.
I’d like to cancel my subscription to Menstrual Cycle Monthly
I’m sorry, it appears you’ve taken out a fifty-sixty year subscription. However, we can pause it for nine months as long as you sign a contract that says you’ll take out a subscription to Baby Daily for at least eighteen years
Damn those Terms and Conditions.
i didn’t even read them i’ve made a terrible mistake
It’s hard to cancel the subscription entirely, but if you get a professional to help you navigate Menstruation Co’s customer service department you can probably get the quarterly edition rather than the monthly?
MOMMA WILL GIVE ADVICE.
ALWAYS REMEMBER: MENSTRUATING DOES NOT MAKE YOU BAD. IT DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE SICK. IT DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE DIRTY.
First of all, do not go swimming in the ocean to look for Momma.
Momma will be right here.
Momma suggests that at first sign of blood, take tylenol. If you are super in tune with your body, take it when you estimate it will start soon!
Momma knows EXACTLY what to do for cramps. Eating cranberries or drinking their juice is a wonderful way to get rid of cramps.
Another way to help with the pain is to rest on your bed like in the picture, butt in the air and head on the ground.
Also, if you do not like pads OR tampons, there are more solutions!
They are very similar to one another. They are basically soft, silicone cups that go up into your lady cave that collect the blood.The softcup is a bit more expensive.
Also, Momma says that if you want to have sex and not have gushing everywhere, you can use a softcup!
The mooncup is a lot like the softcup, but it is reusable. Momma will remind you that you MUST disinfect it in boiling water.
You can even use natural sea sponge like a tampon!
Momma says it’s okay.
There are also cotton reusable pads!
Momma is also thinking of you men that have periods, too!
There is a special kind of boxers that you can buy with a special pocket for sanitary products! It also comes with a bulge.
The most important thing to do, menstruating or not, is to love and respect yourself. Do not feel ashamed, and get through it as well as you can!
Momma loves you!
I had a really small period and I was like “maybe I just miscarried a tiny fetus” and then I realized I haven’t had sex since Columbus landed in the Americas
I realize this sounds like I fucked Columbus. I want to clarify. Just so there’s no confusion, I did. I did fuck Columbus.
when the adhesive on your pad snags ur pubes
If you have pubes and use pads…than you probably aren’t having sex..
if a man (or a woman) can’t handle pubes or pads then he’s probably an immature douche who won’t grow up. if he can’t understand that pubes are a natural body occurance, or think that his preferance in my menstral protection is above my comfort then he’s probably an asshole and, just like with tampons, i dont want him up my vagina
There are the reusable ones that you safety pin in, pads and pubes are fine but that might help with the adhesive issue. I use pads (and tampons, heavy mofo of a flow) but remove my pubes because I cannot stand the feeling of them clotting together during the monthly bleeding of the well of sorrows
Also is tumblr user thetruthoftears of the impression that dfab people who are not having sex are incapable of feeling pain or…
- Blood comes out of your vagina for anywhere from 3-7 days
- That blood you lose can be around 4 tablespoons to a cup
- a cup of blood, vaginal mucus, and endometrial tissue
- You get cramps that will make you cry. You can vomit and/or pass out from them
- You will get horrible mood swings
- You get headaches
- Your breasts hurt so bad sometimes you can’t even touch them
- You get acne everywhere
- Your actual vagina could be sore
- Your feel constantly tired
- You have a constant fear of soaking through your pad/tampon
- You can’t lay a certain way in bed
- You take pill after pill and it still doesn’t help
- You bloat and gain weight
- You might have anemia (iron deficiency) which can not clot your blood causing so much blood loss it’ll be deadly
- You never feel full
- Everything irritates you
- You will cry a lot
- Once you get up in the morning, your center of gravity has shifted and all the blood settling in you during the night will now rush out of you causing you to clench your legs tightly to avoid leaking
- You get made fun of for having a period ?////?/?/
- You’re forced to go to school/work
- You get told that you’re overreacting
but ya know, fixing your dick discreetly in public is bad too
I would like to add:
- No one tells you that severe physical and/or mental distress is unnecessary and possibly a symptom of serious medical conditions.
- Like seriously, no one.
- Your own mother will tell you to take some painkillers and get on with your life.
- Your health teacher will tell you it’s normal.
- It’s not normal. If any other bodily system caused you crippling pain and debilitating mood swings, you’d get your ass to the doctor immediately.
- Of course, once you do go talk to a doctor about it, chances are right-wingers will want to deny you access to the medicine that will make your life easier because in a lot of cases that’ll be the same drugs as prevent pregnancy.
- If you complain as a teenager you’ll probably be brushed off with some bullshit excuse about “everyone’s cycle is different” because you’re young and (presumed) female and therefore assumed stupid and naive and by the time you’ve got the power to do something about it the stupid excuses have been hammered into your head for so long you probably believe them.
Why girls stress over periods
- The constant fear of bleeding through clothes
- The constant cramps
- Having to change pads/tampons every 2-4 hours
- Having to deal with mood swings
- Having to deal with boys going ‘Oh someones on their period’
- When you stand up its like a waterfall from your vagina
- Craving food to calm you down
- The constant fear that you smell of blood even though you dont
- Feeling over emotional
- FUCKEN CRAMPS
YOU MEAN I DON’T ACTUALLY SMELL LIKE BLOOD?!
If your cramps (or any other physical symptom of menstruation) are “constant” and/or severe enough that they interfere with everyday life, go see a doctor. You wouldn’t put up with that bullshit from any other basic biological function. Being in severe pain is not normal and it could be indicative of some underlying health problem.
- Uterus: Oh right.
- Uterus: Menstruation.
- Uterus: I knew I was forgetting something.
Why having a period is like being a werewolf
- Once a lunar month, your body starts doing things that even you don’t fully understand.
- You and your pack end up on the same schedule, one way or another. There’s this whole kinetic telepathy thing going on between you.
o Which would be really cool if the transformation itself didn’t hurt like a bitch and inconvenience you.
- Only you and those like you are capable of creating more of your kind.
- Your body gets super-hardcore, like, you can bleed for an entire week and survive, you get a really high pain tolerance, and sometimes medications don’t even have an effect on you.
- You get so. Very. Hungry.
- Certain substances make you crazy in unexpected ways.
- There’s a lot of inaccurate information about it on the Internet and in the media, which is occasionally funny, but mostly irritating.
- If you find yourself writhing on the floor and howling, that’s pretty much par for the course.
- People may mock or disparage you because of it. They also might chalk your decisions up to it, even when it’s entirely irrelevant. This makes you want to rip their heads off with your teeth no matter what time of the month it is.
o They are also likely to expect you to keep it a secret for their own peace of mind.
o Otherwise they’re probably going to call you a bitch.
- You feel a kinship with those who have undergone the same traumatic changes.
- There’s a strong physiological desire to have sex, but you feel like a fucking monster.
- Your emotions start manifesting externally. Scratching and biting may seem like perfectly understandable activities during this time.
- People might try to imply that you’re somehow inferior because of it, but that’s bullshit and we all know it.
where can I uninstall my period
i think if you download pregnancy it blocks it for a few months but then you get a really annoying loud pop up that doesn’t go away for 18 years
Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again
did you try taking the battery out?
put it in rice overnight
There’s actually some third-party plug ins that can help with the problem without the issues associated with the pregnancy fix, but they do require constant maintenance andI’ve heard anecdotes of them messing with some systems.
you know what’s not fair
normally when people get debilitating stomach cramps and fevers, they stay home from work or school for a day or two
but then you get your period and you’re expected to pOWER THROUGH IT LIKE A WOMAN AND GET SHIT DONE ANYWAY BECAUSE YOU’RE NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE OFF EVERY MONTH EVEN AS THE FLESH IS TORN FROM YOUR UTERUS AND PURGED IN RIVERS OF BLOOD FROM YOUR VAGINA
why is that
Also if you are regularly feverish and in too much pain to move and have no control over your emotions for pretty much any other reason ever people will tell you to get immediate medical attention, but when it’s menstrual symptoms you get told OH EVERYONE’S CYCLE IS DIFFERENT CRAMPS ARE NORMAL TAKE SOME MIDOL AND MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE
uh no DEBILITATING CRAMPS AND MOODSWINGS ARE NOT UNAVOIDABLE GO SEE A DOCTOR THERE ARE THINGS THEY CAN GIVE YOU TO MAKE IT LESS HIDEOUSLY UNPLEASANT TO BE A GIRLSHAPED PERSON OF CHILDBEARING AGE